So we begin again… Same skin formula as last time, no sense changing mid-stream.
A couple of hours last night and a few today have let me complete the 10 Blood Reavers!
I’ll skip the main steps outside of highlighting the Khorne Red with Evil Skullz Crimson, which went better than it had previously. While doing highlighting in general, I’m noticing the paint dries too quick on my palette, causing issues when doing layers and sharp lines. I’m going to have to investigate this further.
Regardless, I’m very happy with how they came out, highlighting issues notwithstanding. I’m still not entirely sure whether I’m going too crazy with the Blood For the Blood God, but if there was ever an army that would lend itself to it, it’d be this, wouldn’t it? I’m trying to use it on the more 3D elements of the bases, though, to create an interesting look. I also upped the amount of snow on the bases to balance the colors out some and to allow the BFTBG to pop out.
I’m particularly happy with the one with the top knot. I somehow didn’t mess up the face on the model, and the teal really allows the model to jump out.
Things are now starting to come together from a muddy mess to jumping off of the model somewhat. Three areas of focus tonight:
- Fur: Drybrushed Tyrant Skull on the fuzzy bits and it made a bit of mess of the wristguards. I’ll have to redo the brown when I get there, but the fur looks okay.
- Skin: Faint lines of Pallid Wych Flesh along muscle lines. I am not doing this well enough and it doesn’t make much difference as a result.
- Metallics: Skullcrusher Brass over existing Balthasar Gold. Makes things look so much nicer and bright. Maybe not the aesthetic some like, but I like colour. Steel got a cleanup of Leadbelcher where needed and highlighted with Runefang Steel.
- Topknot: Touched up the one topknot with Meridius Blue (P3). I’ll do one more highlight of it before this is over.
All in all, things are starting to come together. Next are the Reds and Browns highlighted, then a few odds and ends and I can start on the snow.
Nothing terribly exciting tonight. The rest of the base coats were finished and an Agrax Earthshade wash has been applied to everything that isn’t skin to prepare for highlighting past this point.
Paints used: Balthasar Gold and Khorne Red touch ups, Rhinox Hide, Mournfang Brown, Zandri Dust, Leadbelcher, Abaddon Black and Mechanicus Standard Grey.
What was meant to be a batch of five turned into a batch of ten very quickly (“oh, I will just do the skin on the next batch as well…”), but overall I am a lot more pleased with the base coats in general thus far.
- Rakarth Flesh / Flayed One Flesh: Skin base coats, two and one layer respectively.
- Reikland Fleshshade: Shading the, well, flesh.
- Balthasar Gold: All metallics so far.
- Khorne Red: Anything red so far.
- Screamer Pink: Very watered down layer on any visible scars.